time flies

At 4:30 a.m. the alarm rings. It’s dark outside and the light from my window is the only light visible from the street. The day had finally come; I was going to get my SCUBA diving certification. Little did I know that this day would change my life forever.

Excited and nervous, I raced to get dressed, not noticing that I had put on one blue shoe and one black. I gathered my bulky gear and headed for the car. My father and brother were not far behind with their own heavy loads.

As we drove to San Pedro to get to the boat that would take us to Catalina, our excitement grew. All of the hard work we had done was about to pay off. We were about to reach our goal. As we neared the terminal, the sun began to creep up over the horizon, illuminating the morning sky with its gold and orange colors. We finally boarded the boat and began our forty-minute trip to the island.

The water was cold and choppy. The wind was blowing strong and the swells were large – not good conditions for diving. We got to Catalina and headed for the dive park. After half an hour of suiting up, we were ready to go. We entered the icy-cold, rough water. Once in, we swam about thirty yards out to a buoy to begin our dive. Just as we had finished demonstrating the surface skills required for certification, my dad began having chest pains. At first, he tried to hide it and say that he was all right, but the knife-sharp pains eventually took over. At this point our instructor made the decision to take him ashore. My brother and I were left alone holding onto the rope waiting and watching. When the instructor pulled my father out of the water, we could see him beginning CPR. My younger brother was hysterical and in tears. I had to be the strong one, assuring him that everything was going to be all right. After what felt like an hour, a woman came to help the two of us back to shore. By the time we got there, the ambulance was on its way. I was never able to speak to my dad again. He had died of a massive heart attack.

I often wish I had had the opportunity to say so many things to my dad. I knew that from that moment on, my life would never be the same. I went back to school the next Monday, not missing a day and decided to dedicate my life to living each day to it’s fullest and making my dad proud of me. Six months after his death, I completed my SCUBA certification.

This happened 13 years ago today. I wrote it about two years after the fact, and I don’t know if I could describe things any better today.

Comments

  1. I am so sorry for you loss- both recent and past. I bet your father is proud of you for continuing on with your certification..and ALL you have done with your life.

    {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Emmy, I wish I could reach through the screen and give you a big hug. I've been thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that your dad is so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emmy, I'm so sorry. The anniversary of your father's death at the same time as your brother's passing must be so hard. I am SURE that he is very proud of you for all that you have done and will continue to do.

    Like Missy wrote, I wish I could give you a big hug through the computer. Know that I am here, thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emmy, I'm so, so sorry for both of your loses. This was so touching - I could really feel see the beauty of the day as well as feel the pain of how it ended. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog...Wow it was not what I expected to read. You are in a place loss just doesn't even begin to cover. I don't like March....I am so sorry for your losses!! Please hang in there!!!
    I will be praying for peace for you and your family!!
    Take care,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your heart. You've had to deal with so many unfortunate circumstances. I'm sure your father and brother are beyond proud of you. God bless you precious. You're in my thoughts and prayers. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's you!

plugging along

off with the crazies