story telling

When my brother and I were little, we would often spend a weekend or a week at our grandparent's house.  My grandma and grandpa (dad's side) were the best grandparents a kid could ask for.  They went out of their way to plan fun activities for us, and when it rained the whole week, we'd go to the toy store and buy a new puzzle and a new game to play.  When the weather was nice, we'd go to the beach park and play on these really cool toys, where there was even a rope that connected two pirate ships, and a swing-type thing you could ride across the rope. 

They had a 2 story house with a strange layout, because of its location on a hill.   Essentially, the bottom floor was a huge master suite- bedroom, bathroom, office, exercise room, and closets.  Everything else, including the guest bedrooms was on the top floor.  When we stayed there, we would stay in a guest room, and my grandma would stay in a room next to us, in case we needed anything.  In the mornings, we would wake up and climb into bed with grandma.  She would then tell us stories-- classic childrens' tales.  I loved it.  She only had 3-4 stories that she would tell, but we would make her tell them over and over again. 

I can't remember all of them.  And for those that I can remember, i can't remember her exact version.  I can picture myself laying in bed next to her listening, but I can only hear a few words in her voice.  I wish I could remember the stories to share with any children I might have, along with my students.  I hope I get the chance to create memories like that with my grandchildren.  I'm glad to have such good vivid childhood memories of them, because the more recent ones are not quite as pleasant. 

Are there any stories that you love and look forward to telling your children? 

Comments

  1. My grandma would read me Goldilocks and the 3 bears all the time. That is my favorite story. I would make her read it to me every night (we lived with her for a few years) and even though I couldn't read yet, knew it so well I knew when she strayed from the text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very sweet post. I enjoyed reading it.

    When I was a kid, I would have my mom put Hansel and Gretal on the record player at bedtime. She would turn out the lights and I would love getting scared. The evil lady would say,"Something better ge done husband. Something better be done..." And I would shiver in fear! Now that I think about it, it is kind of odd going to sleep to that story!

    Thanks for helping me to remember this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's you!

plugging along

off with the crazies