Show and Tell

This week, for show and tell, I am going to show you some of the gardening stuff I've worked on in the past few days. First, we bought our house about a year and a half ago. It was quite neglected when we got it. We hate a lot of the landscaping (ivy) and have been working on removing it for over a year. It is a long, hard, and slow process. I decided to take a break from that and work on something else that I would be easier to tackle and have a noticeable difference. The front walkway it is. When we bought the house, it had this creeping fig vine growing all along the side of the house as you walk up. While it looks pretty and green, it is bad for the stucco and provides homes for insects, spiders, and mice. So, we decided to remove it. Cutting it and pulling it off of the house was easy, but the roots went deep, and we called it quits for a while. The stuff has slowly been coming back, since we never fully eradicated it. Today was the day to get the roots out. With the help of my brother in-law, we were able to get all of the deep roots and everything out! I already had purchased flowers to go in, so I added some new soil, and got those in too! I think I want to get more dahlias (yellow) to fill in the back.

Here is a pic of our feet and the walkway/wall before we removed the fig:




And here is the walkway/wall now. It is a different angle, but hopefully you can get the idea!


The end of the walkway/front of our garage used to have these evergreen bushes that we didn't like, so now there is a white azalea bush with yellow marigolds around it.


I also planted 7 tomato plants, 3 hot pepper plants, herbs (chives, rosemary, oregano, thyme, marjoram, mint, basil), green onions, garlic, and carrots in pots above ground. I just didn't think I could get the ground I want to use ready in time (big stump and roots to remove).



I did decided to break some of the ground up that I want to use. I did about 2-3 square feet. I planted a watermelon plant, and five cucumbers there! I hope they grow!

I also put a cucumber in one of those upside down pot things. Who knows how that will end up working!! I hope to be able to show you lots of veggies in about 2 months!

Go check out what the rest of the class is sharing!

Comments

  1. Good growing!!! I'm envious of your productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously we are nowhere near each other cause I would LOVE to be planting this early - veggies - I mean. Can't be safe here till the last week in May first week in June. *sigh*

    I'll be drooling of your s and t in two months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a shitload of work! The clean up looks amazing. I can't believe how much you removed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You've been uber busy!!! My hubby just tilled our garden and put in some pepper and tomato plants today. Happy growing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great results. I am trying my hand at growing pumpkins and sunflowers. We shall see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...y'all did some serious work there. It looks amazing all cleaned up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you've done a ton of work there. Good for you! We're still waiting to see leaves on the trees here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love spring- all the wonderful green things growing. Spring in Seattle- kind of gray for a while longer.

    Inspiring pictures! I am going to force myself to plant something tomorrow, and maybe veggies soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks great! We also have tomato plants in containers. This is out first year playing with tomato plants, so it is really nice to see that we are not the only ones who are using containers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful....That marigold adds so much colour and cheer!

    Hope you get lots of veggies soon... hand picked and home grown!

    Lovely Show and Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you planted watermelon for the first time or you have prior experience with it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a lot of work! Can smell from here the earth turning and being planted etc, and I just love that smell!
    Can't wait to see your veggies in two months time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job! Looks like you have a green thumb. The walkway looks much brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love gardening! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great, Emmy! I'd love to see pics of the upside down pot(s) -- I'd like to try a couple of those this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, good work! Beautiful flowers. I'm really interested in the "upside growing thingy". I've seen them around, but I'm wondering if everything will just fall out onto the ground. Will you let us k now how it works out for you, please?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's you!

plugging along

off with the crazies