an idea...maybe

Clearly, I am not having IVF anytime soon for mental and financial reasons. I don't even know for sure that I want to go through it with a 20-25% chance that they won't find any sperm in B. It seems like too much chance for failure when we statistically have been falling on those small worst case scenario percentages. In the meantime, during the next 10-11 or so months that we will be saving and getting therapy and stuff for that.

So, here's my idea. What if we have B have the varicoceles removed now in an attempt to avoid a later surgery and the whole question of what if. Yes, we have a really high percentage of failure rate with this one, but regardles, getting the varicoceles out must help any sperm production that he has going on in there. Even if no sperm show up normally, hopefully any little pockets that are there will be able to produce more. Of course, B has to agree to this too, but what do you think? Sound reasonable enough? Is is a waste of a surgery for 30-50% chance it will work, with our doctor seeing about 35% success rate (sperm in eja.culet).

And, calling those of you who's husband had the procedure, how bad was the recovery?

Comments

  1. Hi! My brother-in-law had something similar to this surgery (I am not sure if it was the same thing but I think he had some blockage down there) and he recovered within two months and it was that third month that my sister-in-law got pregnant and had a successful pregnancy. She was constantly having miscarriages and they found it was his sperm that was the problem. Once they did the surgery they were able to have their baby. It was a personal decision they had to make and it worked out for them. Wishing you lots of luck in this decision. Thinking of you and sending you lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emmy. My husband had a bilateral varicocelectomy 4 years ago. His motility and morphology improved but his overall count went down - and has continued to go down. Now, he was 36 when he had the surgery and I've been told that if he had the surgery at a younger age the results may have been better. We opted to do IVF last fall and our RE sent us to a new Urologist after we started our cycle. He did additional testing and said if it failed he recommended TESE with ICSI. One of the tests was for the fragmentation level and my husband's number was almost at the cut-off of very bad. I've also been told and read that some REs will tell you to skip the surgery and just use TESE to retrieve the sperm for ICSI.

    In terms of the surgery, my husband was back at work a couple of days later with very little issue. He does say that the loss of feeling where the scar tissue is sucks. The surgery was totally covered by insurance so it might be worth it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi: I just found your blog. Have had similar problems as you. My DH had the surgery about 4 years ago. There was some improvement for a little while, but now things have gotten worse, so I really can't say how successful it might be for you. I would agree with Mugsy that age is probably a factor. I will say his physical recovery time was minimal. Have it done before a long weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's you!

plugging along

off with the crazies