It's All Relative

A lot of bad things have been happening to a lot of people around me. Lots of death, sickness, and other crappy, crappy things. It's hard to know what to say, but I've had too much experience in too many areas.

This summer, I wrote an email to a grieving friend. I've now taken it, altered it appropriately, and sent it to 4 other people. Much of it applies more to publicly 'acceptable' grief, which I guess means grieving over things people understand, have experienced, or can empathize with.

I wish that people understood/I could more easily share my grief over the azoospermia. So many people take their easy conceptions for granted.  How do I explain the decimation of my dreams to them?  I wish fertiles would not say stupid things that those not as lucky go into hiding. I wish that others who have a difficult time getting or staying pregnant could get the support that they need from people in their lives without judgment. 

Here is most of the text, less personal information, of the email I sent out. If you are hurting, please take my words to heart. If you need to support someone hurting and want to take any of the text below, please do if you think it will help.


Words cannot express the sorrow I feel for you. No one knows or understands what you are going through, so I won't pretend to, but I know that it is awful.

I am no stranger to grief. Through my bouts of grief over the years, I have learned that no two people's experiences are the same.

I don't have much advice, other than take everything one breath/moment/minute/hour at a time. There is no right or wrong way to deal with this. The best way is the way that gets you through the day. Everything that you are feeling is exactly what you should be feeling.

People will understand if you cancel plans with them next week or six months from now, because you don't feel up to it. It's taken a while for me to get over feeling guilty for canceling plans with people or
leaving early, but I find they are truly understanding and supportive of my needs. Also, please don't feel guilty if you find yourself having a good day/hour/moment sometime in the future (my mom does, and I know that my brother would want to kick her for feeling that way!).

Ask for help when you need it. Whether it be running errands, bringing meals, or whatever.  People want to help you and take care of you.

Each person's grief is relative in the scope of their own lives. What hurts me to tears might not hurt you in the same way. It's nearly impossible to understand something from another person's perspective. A big deal in my world is a tap on the shoulder in one person's world and a tsunami in another 's.  I wish everyone would be more sensitive to each others' personal tragedies. 

Comments

  1. This was such a good post. Your letter was so helpful to me. It makes me feel like it is okay to be living the way I am...skipping out on things and retreating to my classroom during lunch when the pregnant teacher comes in.

    I completely agree with the fact that people grieve differently and over different things. When I miscarried, my "friend" said that her friends had gotten over their miscarriages in a day. It sickened me that she had no empathy.

    I wish that people were able to more openly talk about grief. Especially dealing with infertility issues or miscarriage. It is a topic that no one wants to discuss out loud, almost for fear that it is contagious. When I miscarried, suddenly people looked the other way and most people didn't even bring it up and didn't want to remind me...As if I wasn't thinking about it 24 hours a day.

    I cannot imagine going through what you are going through. You probably never even considered that you would be dealing with azoo. You must be going through a huge grieving process. I bet that you can't talk about it with people either, which probably makes you feel like you are silently struggling. Maybe you try to put up a front and no one knows your pain. I hope that you have been able to find support through people who have dealt with the same thing. I have been reading your blog for a while, and it seems that you have begun the healing process. You are talking about moving on to DS, and that is a huge and wonderful step. I really am excited to see you experience a pregnancy and a little baby...your perfect little baby who will make you realize why you have had to wait so long for such a gift.

    I wrote a novel. So sorry! Your letter and post just really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is beautiful and so true. Everyone does experience grief so differently and I wonder if that is why we always tend to think how we are feeling is wrong, b/c we don't see other people feeling/doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your letter is great. I will "borrow" it when needed. :)
    God.. your post about Azoo could have come direct from my mouth. My close friends try to understand, they give me space, they let me be miserable. Everyone else...not so much. The handful of others that do know, I feel like they think I'm being overly dramatic or that I don't have the right to be as depressed/heartbroken as I am. Well.. excuse my french but Fuck Them. The one thing that this terrible experience has taught me is I'm gonna do whats best for me. What feels right for me. And even though those things may not be "best" for me (canceling social plans or crying all day). I'm doing it anyway. This has changed my life so much and I'm not sure where to go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emmy- what an awesome and understanding friend you are! This letter was so well thought out, and full of love. You are right- it doesn't matter how much grief a person has been through in life- there is no two experiences that are the same.
    I too have had grief over our diagnosises- azoo, endo, etc. I a few people that really 'get' it. A few more that try, but fall short..then there are the ones that just don't get it. Fortunately they are starting to learn to be quiet b/c I have been slightly bitchy about it lately.

    {{HUGS}} for being such a great friend. I know they appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post and a wonderfully supportive e-mail. Your friends, all of us included, are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popped in from the crème de la crème.

    Very insightful letter. And I fully agree, it is nearly impossible to understand what someone else is going through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's you!

plugging along

off with the crazies