kidney update

If you haven't read the last post about the kidney, go get the whole story.  

The good news is that this week's kidney tests came back about the same as the ones last week, so it is stable.  It isn't getting better, but it is not getting worse.  Baby is doing just fine and my kidney is doing its job, so no real harm is being done.  The bad news is that it still hurts-- a lot at times.  If the pain continues or kidney function decreases, baby will likely come early.  I can't fathom 9 more weeks of this pain (taking me to 42 weeks), but 5 or 6 weeks doesn't seem as overwhelming.  Dr. said that pregnancy isn't easy on my lone kidney and that if I continue to be in pain, he's comfortable inducing after 38 weeks, although it will increase my risk for a c-section.  

I'm fine to keep working and am hoping to work until the end of February.  Those are my plans... who knows what this little one's plans are though!  

I've been noticing braxton-hicks more and more recently, and definitely feeling pressure down low!  I can't believe how close to the end we are!


Comments

  1. Happy your kidney isn't getting worse and that your little one is doing great! Hopefully the pain doesn't get worse, sorry hon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you may only have one kidney! I had to to a re-read to make sure that is what you really said! Well, you are certainly a special gal, but we already knew that :) I'm really happy that you are not having the shunt yet. I have had a shunt put in a few different times, and they were more painful than my stone. The doctors will tell you that it won't be, but it is. So, if you can, try to deal with the pain and let the shunt be the last resort.

    I am usually told to drink lots of water. My current urologist told me to not drink it if it causes pain. However, you are pregnant and I am sure it is different for you. I was so fortunate in that I only felt a little stone at the very end, and it was low in my ureter, and I passed it. I passed the large one right when B came home from the NICU. It was always a big fear of mine-to have a stone while pregnant. So I am so very sorry that you are having to go through this.

    I hope that you find some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing...if it is a stone, there are support groups online for pregnant women with kidney stones. Really! I looked it up. So I am sure that you could go to one of those and ask them questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad things aren't getting any worse. I hope that the pain gets better and things go more smoothly from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow -- huge thing to have to go through while pregnant.

    I'm back after 6 weeks away from blogging. Delivered twins at 30 and a half weeks by c-section.

    Not ideal, but the boys are doing really well and should be able to come home from the NICU any time now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's you!

plugging along

off with the crazies