Exciting Things

We have some exciting things brewing over here!  

Last week, we took a trip back to visit our families.  Some relatives were visiting from the other coast, so we decided to plan a visit at the same time.  We had a great time hanging out.  On the last day of our trip, I got to meet up with one of my best friends who lives 6 hours from where we were, but was also in town visiting her parents.  As I drove past my RE's office on the way to see her, I started thinking about a second baby.  I really wanted around 3 years between births, but OMG how the baby fever has kicked in!  

It didn't help when my friend mentioned that they would likely start trying in the fall for their second.  Her first is 7 weeks younger than my little cutie.  We talked a lot about the benefits of closer and farther apart spacing.  I really like the farther spacing so that J would be more independent, but do see the benefit of closer so that they play together better.  So, now I want to try sooner.  

I talked to B about baby #2 a few days later.  He is all for having another and said that he would let me decide on spacing, since I am the one who will be pregnant and chasing after the little cutie as well as taking care of both while he works.  I called my RE's office and spoke with the nurse I worked with last time.  She told me I could do all of my monitoring stuff here and just make the trek there for the IUI or IVF retrieval/transfer.  That certainly makes life easier!  I have a phone consult with the RE on Monday!  Time to compile my list of questions!

We are out of town for two weeks in August, and I can't decide if I'd like to try a cycle in July or wait until after our vacation.  I'd like to go diving while we're in Hawaii, and enjoy a few mai tais, but I think I might rather be pregnant more!  I don't, however, want to have AF on our trip.  I guess we'll see what the Dr. says.  I'm so excited that this might actually happen this year!  

At this point, I don't know if we will do a dIUI or go right to IVF.  This time, we know we will be using known-donor sperm, so IUI is an option.  RE mentioned that it would be an option for us when we had our last appt. when I graduated to an OB.  My hesitation is that my eggs didn't seem to be great last time.  We didn't get any embryos to freeze, and the two blasts that were transferred were both behind.  Obviously, I have a baby from one of those laggers, so it is possible.  Also, because of our severe male factor, my potential issues were not looked at.  Before we found out about the azoo, I thought that the issue was with me, based on my charts and 10 day LP.  We have 2 vials of sperm left, which is one IUI for my clinic.  They do back-to-back inseminations on consecutive days.  If we need to do another, we'll have to get an addendum to our legal agreement with BIL ($) and have him donate again.  

I'd hate to do several IUIs and have to move to IVF because of the waste of time and money, but I'd hate to jump right to IVF if IUI will work.  I just don't know!  What would you do?  Can you think of anything I should ask the RE on Monday?

Comments

  1. I totally get the baby fever! I'll be doing a FET in July =)

    If it were me I think I might ask the RE if he'd be willing to try two IUI's with a single insemination. That way you could use the sperm you have for two IUIs and see where that gets you. I'd also ask what med protocol they would recommend for IUI for you. If it's a Clomid or Femara IUI then it wouldn't be as pricey. If they don't work out then you could make the decision on IVF...

    Good luck, look forward to hearing about the call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I would do totally depends on price. At my clinic (in Canada, where all the bloodwork and ultrasound are covered by our provincial health plan), an IUI is $200, and IVF is about $6000. So for me it's a no brainer. I'd do a ton of IUIs before moving to IVF.

    I agree with asking about doing a single insemination. If you trigger at, say, 10pm on a Tuesday, you will ovulate around 10am on Thursday. So if you do your IUI around then, that's perfect timing. You don't need two inseminations.

    I feel like I would feel really weird asking the BIL for more sperm...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's you!

plugging along

off with the crazies